About 20% of the time, Spartacus (6) and Little Miss (3) get along really well. The other 80% of the time, they exhibit typical sibling rivalry: “Me Too!” “She started it!” “He hit me!” “That’s mine!” “She’s copying me!” Oy. We can’t send them to their room because they share one (and it is nine feet square). Little Miss takes her afternoon nap in my bed so Spartacus can do quiet time alone in his room. We have one living room, and a dining room that was converted to a playroom, and there really isn’t anywhere to send them so any of us can have time apart. This summer feels simultaneously like it went too fast and like it has been going on forever. We need to move!
Waiting to Move…
We’re hoping to close on our new house and move in the next few weeks. Then we have to finish projects on our current home and get it listed and sold. Just like five years ago, we’re doing a move right at the start of a new school year, except this time we have THREE children instead of one. Whee!
We rented a storage unit to try to clear out some stuff in preparation for listing. It is nearly filled it with Christmas decorations, toys, books, shelves, dressers, and bins of children’s clothes I don’t know if we’ll need again. I walk around our small house and realize…it doesn’t look like we’re moving. I thought it would look like we’re living with the bare bones with as much crap as we stored, but it doesn’t! We have WAY too much stuff. I mean, I knew this, but it is becoming more real. And I’m not sure where to start.
I’ve been listening to a podcast called A Slob Comes Clean, and it resonates with me as we try to cull down on stuff, since that is the primary source of our slob-ishness. I’ll share more soon, but trying to sort through the last nine years of marriage in some sort of timely fashion isn’t going terribly smoothly. Buying giant Costco storage bins does not magically make things more organized. While it’s great to double our square footage in the new place, that also reduces the urgency to get rid of stuff for storage concerns…but I know that it is definitely something we need to do!
It is hard to focus on seller projects when we are looking forward to the fun of a move to a new house. For example, the steps are carpeted in the new place, so that makes me feel better about my Houdini one-year-old that can climb steps in 15 seconds even though he won’t walk yet. The basement is finished, so we will have a play space for the kids that isn’t the first thing you see when you walk in. And we’ll have a driveway. A DRIVEWAY! Yay!
Sneak peak at our new house! It even has the Tudor charm Hubster likes in our current century-old neighborhood. We are very excited to make it our own very soon.
Most of the house is carpeted, besides the kitchen and bathrooms. Spartacus has been learning how to vacuum our one area rug (everything else is hardwood) with our big Hoover, so hopefully he’ll carry on his enthusiasm for the new house. Or we’ll save for a Roomba. Or maybe both. But boy are we ready to move!